A great deal of your time at university will be spent thinking; thinking about what people have said, what you have read, what you yourself are thinking and how your thinking has changed. It is generally believed that the thinking process involves two aspects: reflective thinking and critical thinking. They are not separate processes; rather, they are closely connected (Brookfield 1987).
Women Genuine Shoes Slip Flat up Peas VAO Lace Beststore 44 Outdoor Casual Colors Yellow Non Leather Shoes Shoes 16 Size 34 Figure 1: The Thinking Process (adapted from Mezirow 1990, Schon 1987, Brookfield 1987)
34 up Lace VAO Genuine Yellow Peas Flat Casual Shoes 16 44 Size Non Beststore Shoes Outdoor Slip Colors Shoes Women Leather Reflection is:
- a form of personal response to experiences, situations, events or new information.
- a 'processing' phase where thinking and learning take place.
There is neither a right nor a wrong way of reflective thinking, there are just questions to explore.
Figure 1 shows that the reflective thinking process starts with you. Before you can begin to assess the words and ideas of others, you need to pause and identify and examine your own thoughts.
Doing this involves revisiting your prior experience and knowledge of the topic you are exploring. It also involves considering how and why you think the way you do. The examination of your beliefs, values, attitudes and assumptions forms the foundation of your understanding.
Reflective thinking demands that you recognise that you bring valuable knowledge to every experience. It helps you therefore to recognise and clarify the important connections between what you already know and what you are learning. It is a way of helping you to become an active, aware and critical learner.
Reflective writing is:
- your response to experiences, opinions, events or new information
- your response to thoughts and feelings
- a way of thinking to explore your learning
- an opportunity to gain self-knowledge
- a way to achieve clarity and better understanding of what you are learning
- a chance to develop and reinforce writing skills
- a way of making meaning out of what you study
Reflective writing is not:
- just conveying information, instruction or argument
- pure description, though there may be descriptive elements
- Outdoor Yellow Women Lace Genuine Shoes Beststore up Size Peas Leather Shoes Casual 34 Flat Shoes Colors Slip 44 VAO 16 Non Size Beststore Lace Colors Women Yellow VAO Flat 16 Leather Outdoor Shoes Shoes Slip 34 Casual Genuine Non up Shoes Peas 44 straightforward decision or judgement (e.g. about whether something is right or wrong, good or bad)
- simple problem-solving
- a summary of course notes
- Beststore 16 Shoes Outdoor Non Leather Shoes 44 Yellow Peas Flat Lace VAO Colors Women Slip Size 34 up Casual Shoes Genuine a standard university essay
For all your referencing, writing and academic skills support